A high fiber / high protein meal from Dr. Raymond Kordonowy.
Always searching for ways to optimize nutrition, I love to experiment in the kitchen. This recipe is a result of that experimentation. It utilizes a grain that I recently discovered and fell in love with– quinoa, which is very high in protein and fiber. My creation may need some adjustments though- feel free to add more or less of any ingredient until it suits your taste. Combining healthy recipes like this with a regular supplement routine is the first step toward a long and healthy life.
- 1⁄2 Cup northern white beans
- 1 medium/small onion.
- 1-2 cloves of minced garlic.
- 1-2 carrots.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3-4 cubes/teaspoons chicken, beef bullion or vegetable stock.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup barley (pearled or precooked/5 minute).
- 1/8 red pepper flakes.
- 4 cups of water.
- Fresh green onions chopped (optional).
- -Soak the 1⁄2 cup of northern white beans overnight. Rinse and drain before proceeding with the recipe
- -Dice the onion, mince the garlic cloves, and slice the carrots
- -In a 4-5 quart saucepan add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, garlic and onion and sauté until onions become clear. Add the presoaked beans. Add 3-4 cubes of chicken or beef bullion (dehydrated vegetable stock could be replaced at 3-4 tsp). Add 1/8 red pepper flakes and combine until vegetables and beans are coated.
- -Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered appx 20-25 minutes. If uncooked barley is used add it when boil begins (1/4 cup).
- -After 20-25 minutes simmering add 1/2 cup quinoa. Simmer another 20 minutes. If precooked barley is used, add it (1/4 cup) 5 minutes before simmer is finished. Beans should be tender at this point and the quinoa will have expanded to a light fluffy grain. Serve as a side dish/carbohydrate exchange
- -Add some chopped green onions at time of serving for additional flavor (opt)